Monday, July 12, 2010

Placement @ Montessori School

Will be starting my placement @ the Small Wonder Children's House SS19 tmr. How this came about was I called up the principal Pn. Jelita if I could work there for free to gain some experience. She told me she never had any male montes teacher before but I could go to observe and see if I like it. So there I was today.

It's located at the corner house of SS19/5F. From outside it's hard to imagine the premise has got more than 6 classrooms. Pn. Jelita took me on a tour. The outdoor area was a sandpit, some swings and a cage with 2 giant iguanas in it. There is also a cage with a few rabbits where the kids can feed them with carrots. They also sometimes bring fruits from home to feed them. One of the iguanas was actually placed indoor for the kids to play until it got a bit bigger and parents go a bit weary. You got to see the size of the iguana to really appreciate why the parents felt that way.

In total there were 11 classrooms. Classrooms on the upstairs are for the 5-6 and downstairs are 3-4.

During the Circle time I had an opportunity to meet all the kids. This week was Pn. Jelita's turn to do circle time and she was teaching them about vegetables. I was sitting behind a malay boy whom at first wouldnt stop admiring my watch. Then when Pn. Jelita explained about cili he once again turned to me and said "Pedas". Then they make the buzzing bees to form into lines ready for lunch. The little boy saw me still sitting on the circle and he came to me trying pull me with him to join the line "Datang lah uncle". I told him I would join him a bit later. He frowned and walked away.

It was lunch time and kids were having yong chow fried rice. The school has strict dietary requirements for breakfast, tea, lunch and afternoon tea (if the kids go full day). Pn. Jelita was kind enough to invite me to have lunch with her and her husband.

Well, starting my first day tomorrow. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment