Friday, June 25, 2010

World Cup Fever

World Cup finals are half way through and many football fans come to work with red eyes. I even spotted a few of my colleagues sleeping in the meeting room, with their foreheads rested on one hand and fingers covering their eyes hoping no one could spot them.


I didn't have much chance to catch any matches as much as I like to but every time when I watch a match I would definitely support the underdog. I do not comprehend why would anyone support a stronger team knowing that the odds are on their side to win the match. It's so much thrill to see a weaker team especially when they are losing, to take control of the game and turn it around. I really admire how New Zealand performed in this world cup. Having come from the 75th placing in world ranking, the Kiwis did not lose any game and they kept their posture and confidence to play their best. They really showed to the world that not everyone in NZ are in the sheep shearing business. There are at least 25 athletes whom are serious in professional football.

Japan managed to slay Denmark because the arigatos really played like a team and they showed the world that football is truly a team sport. So gear up Korea and Japan, I think you guys can go a long way in this World Cup. You guys are like Davids among the Goliaths (Brazil, Argentina). All it takes is a little more confidence and faith to run the rest of the race.

I like my pastor favourite's quote. "Big is not Strong, Small is not Strong. Strong is Strong"

No comments:

Post a Comment